My dog was stung by a bee. What do I do?

If your dog is stung by a bee or a wasp, go inside and call your veterinarian. Placing an ice pack on the sting can help, but not all dogs respond well to that.

Most stings happen because a dog has chased a bee, snapped at it, or dug up a wasp nest. That means, most stings are to the face, paws, or inside of the mouth.

Symptoms of being stung include:

  • Hives
  • Whining
  • Drooling
  • Facial swelling
  • Pawing at the affected area.

Seek veterinary help. A sting can lead to an allergic reaction – even if something similar has happened before and the pooch was fine. It’s impossible to know in advance what will happen, and worst case scenarios include throat swelling, difficulty breathing, and even collapse.

> Return to Learning Center